Everything You Need to Know About the New Domestic Violence Payment in Australia

The Federal Government has recently announced the Escaping Violence Payment, a payment designed to assist women in escaping from a domestic or family violence situation. This payment will make it easier for women to establish a new life free from past violence. Financial support is often a barrier or difficulty domestic violence victims face, which this payment aims to reduce.

Here is everything you need to know about the domestic violence payment, including how much you can claim and the eligibility criteria.

How Much Can You Get From This Payment?

This payment can be received once per incident, and up to 4 times in a 12-month period. It is a one-off payment of up to $5000 which is divided into a $1500 cash portion, with the rest available for goods and services, direct payments of bonds, or school fees.

The amount received is equal to a week’s pay at the maximum basic rate of your income support payment, or ABSTUDY Living Allowance.

Who Can Receive the Payment?

The new domestic violence payment, as the name suggests, is targeted at those fleeing family and domestic violence situations. This means that in order to receive it there are certain eligibility requirements you must fulfil. You must have experienced family and domestic violence, and you must:

  • Be eligible for, or currently receive an income support payment or ABSTUDY Living Allowance;
  • Contact services Australia within 7 days of your living arrangements changing;
  • Have left your home, or the family member responsible for the family or domestic violence has left the home, or you have been removed from your home by the police;
  • Be in Australia both when the incident happened and when you submit your claim; and
  • Be in severe financial hardship.


How to Claim the Payment

Each claim for the domestic violence payment made will be assessed by a social worker and must be made within 7 days of your living arrangements changing. The steps to claim the payment are as follows:

  1. Start by claiming online through myGov and Centrelink. If you can’t claim online, call your regular payment line or visit Centrelink. The process also involves providing your social worker evidence of the extreme circumstances, and permission to contact someone who can confirm your circumstances.
  2. Make your claim by signing into myGov and then Centrelink. From there select “Payments and claims” from the menu, then “Claims”, then “Make a claim.” Select “Crisis Payments” and select “Apply for Crisis Payment for Extreme Circumstances.” Follow the prompts from that point and answer all questions. You may also be asked to provide documents to support your claim.
  3. You will then be required to talk to a social worker. They will assess your claim. You will need to speak to them in order to complete the assessment.
  4. Once the claim has been processed you will receive the results via your myGov inbox, or through the mail. If you do not agree with the decision, you do have the right to appeal the decision. In cases like this you can reach out to our experienced team at Pullos Lawyers for assistance.

How to Protect Yourself When You Claim the Payment

While it is important to receive the domestic violence payment if you need it, staying safe during the claims process is vital. The best way to stay safe is to:

  • Ensure that all relevant mail is being directed to an address where you can safely pick up the mail
  • Change your email and social media login passwords
  • Remove partner permission from Centrelink

This way, you can receive your payment safely and start your new life.

Need Help Accessing the New Domestic Violence Payment?

Domestic and Family violence is an important matter, and it is vital that if you are fleeing domestic and family violence, you find a safe space and the support you need. Pullos Lawyers are here to provide you with the legal support to start your new life free of violence. With over 30 years of experience dealing with cases involving domestic and family violence, you are in the best of hands with our dedicated team.

To speak to one of our lawyers today, please get in touch via email, or call us in our Gold Coast office on (07) 5526 3646, or in Brisbane on (07) 3144 1641.